July 29 - August 2, 2013
Download the 2012 KITE
What is KITE?
KITE (Kaleidoscope Institute for Thinking Excellence) is a
one-week full-day advanced program for the high ability
learner at Pike School for Grades K - 8.
From KITE kids:
- "I learned how to organize things in my head and make good
- "This past KITE program was just perfect."
From 2012 KITE parents:
- "Thank you for honoring and supporting the artist in every child. This was such a wonderful week…as my daughter said…'one of the best weeks ever'."
- "My son came home every day happy and proud to share the wonderful things he learned."
- "My daughter was placed in a group with children one year above her (after thoughtful discussion with the director) and told me she was 'where she belonged'. I appreciate the thought and consideration taken on behalf of the children."
- "My son told me he loved that he was allowed to be creative while he learned. He told me that in his last school year he was never allowed to do anything except what was assigned to the entire class. He loved KITE!"
- "Thank you for providing not only an environment for our children to learn and grow, but also an environment in which parents are welcome, supported and understood."
- "I have recommended the program and will continue to do so. The teaching staff is outstanding."
- "It was a fantastic week. Please keep doing what you are doing for these amazing students."
- "Thank you so much for the pre-camp survey. My daughter was so excited to start a new camp knowing that the camp cared enough to ask about her interests and likes."
Note received January 28, 2011 from a former KITE parent:
- "Many years ago my daughter attended your program. I truly
believe that it was one of the best programs she has
attended in her life. I still remember her enthusiasm about
the program. It carried over to all aspects of her life.
(She) is now a sophomore at (college) where she is thinking
and creating 24/7. She is majoring in film and animation. I
attribute her experiences at KITE to leading her in this
wonderful direction. Thank you!"
Who Should Go to KITE?
If your child grasps new concepts quickly and deeply, asks
questions that show depth of understanding, often adds that
“something extra” to a project, seems motivated to explore new
ideas, spends time waiting for others to “catch up”... then we
highly recommend that you try the KITE program this summer.
Please feel free to call us at (978) 475-1422 any time to
discuss your child and to determine whether the KITE program
would be a good match.
2013 KITE theme “Learning in Motion!”
Activate your mind and keep your body in motion this summer. Join our KITE kids as they enjoy
learning about motion, commotion, locomotion, emotion and more. This can include:
- Newton’s Law of Motion in all aspects of our lives, including sports
- Many exciting outdoor adventures
- Explorations in physics and other fields of science
- Use of technology to explore interests
- Special Interest classes based on results of interest surveys (options including math, science, theater, art and more)
KITE students are eager, talented learners who have
unlimited potential and who meet challenges with skill and
determination. During the week, our skilled teachers will
provide instruction on a variety of topics, pose open-ended
questions and function primarily as a “guide on the side”
rather than assume the more traditional teacher’s role of
“sage on the stage”. Students will create “hands-on” projects
based on some of their own interests. Active learning is
emphasized as they stretch their critical and creative
thinking skills with a group of enthusiastic and capable
peers. Pike’s computer lab will also be available to our
A typical first day at KITE begins with a large group
gathering. Students return with their teachers and grade-level
groups to a highly enriched classroom setting, where
individual needs and interests lead to exciting
projects/learning activities. Each year a general theme is
chosen and woven throughout the week’s activities.
The Pike School provides exceptional opportunities to use its
immediate and surrounding resources. The week concludes with
either a performance or formal display of students’ efforts,
and parents and friends are invited to attend.
To view pictures from KITE 2012, click here.
- Emphasis on higher order creative and critical thinking,
as well as problem-solving skills
- Use of the nationally validated "Talents Unlimited"
thinking skills model, including productive thinking,
communication, forecasting, decision-making and planning
- Chance to meet and work with other outstanding students,
share interests and abilities, and make new friends
- Individual and small group independent investigations
- In-depth study of student-determined high interest topics
- Above average academic skills
- Independent learning skills
- High degree of motivation
- Teacher survey (sent upon registration)
- Student interest questionnaire (sent upon registration)
- Recommendation of previous year's KITE teacher (if
9:00 AM to 2:30 PM Daily
$370 per child + $30 non-refundable Registration Fee.
Cancellation Policy: Refunds are given (less $100 cancellation
fee) if student withdraws prior to
JUNE 1, 2013. No refunds available beyond that date.
Early Care (8-9 AM): $30 per week
Extended Day (2:30-5:00 PM): $95 per week
Late Care (5:00-6:00 PM): Additional $75 per week
The registration form can be found here
Teacher survey and student interest survey will be mailed upon
receipt of registration form and tuition. Children will receive
several letters prior to the start of the program.
Please indicate grade level completed as of June, 2013.
Each class has 12 students.
Coordinator: Janis Baron
Director: Ethel Coltin
Highly qualified certified teachers with training in gifted
education and /or higher order thinking skills. All have been
trained in the nationally validated Talents Unlimited thinking
For KITE information, please call (978)